“5W about the Women”
The project aims to break stereotypes about the women with disabilities and contribute to society’s awareness rising about the reproductive right of women with disabilities.
The project was realized in the framework of the project “I have a right to become a mother” of AGATE Centre for Women wish Special Needs with the financial support of the embassy of the Kingdom of Norway to Armenia.
Duration of the project is 3 months – April-June 2014.
As a result of the project 5 success photo stories were created about women with disabilities who became a mother. The stories and the photos were posted on the web pages disabilityinfo.am and ikin.am.
The stories represented the experience of women with hearing, mobility and visual impairments who either already have a family or raise their children as single mothers and serve as an example for the other girls and women with disabilities who have fears or other complexes.
On the basis of the success stories and the photos 100 copies of 2015 calendar have been published.
The program of the training was developed and the training was organized about “Broadcasting of the Reproductive and Sexual issues of the Women with Disabilities”. Women with disabilities have taken part in the trainings as experts.
A guidebook for the journalists was developed and published about “How to broadcast the issues of the women with disabilities?”
“Everything Starts from the Information”
The project aimed at contributing to the awareness raising of the youth about the reproductive health, encouraging their healthy life style.
The project was realized in the framework of the grant contest announced by the Armenian Youth Foundation – the partner organization of the president of the Republic of Armenia.
Duration of the project is 7 months – April-October 2014.
As a result of the project young people with disabilities, their family members were informed about the reproductive and sexual right of people with disabilities due to the articles published in the web pages Disabilityinfo.am and ikin.am.
Trainings on “Reproductive Right and Sexual Health” have been organized for young people with disabilities during which the participants learnt about the law of the Republic of Armenia about the Reproductive Health and Reproductive Right, means of the realization of the rights have been discussed. The meetings have taken place in Yerevan and Armavir city.
Trainings have been organized for the journalists and students about the broadcasting of the issue of the reproductive health of young people with disabilities. The obstacles, the language and the ethics of the realization of this right as well as the nuances of the broadcasting have been discussed with the journalists.
Digital guidebook about the broadcasting of reproductive and sexual issues was created for journalists.
In the framework of the project the audio book version of 300 pages book entitled “My Right of Being Healthy” have been recorded for people with visual impairments. 50 copies of the audio book have been issued and distributed to the people with visual impairments.
Global Found for Women General support grant
June 27, 2014-April 30, 2015
The project is realized with Global Found for Women General support.
The purpose of the project is to support the organization to achieve its goals, especially to contribute to the protection of the rights of women with disabilities.
With the help of GFW grant we have changed our main web page – disabilityinfo.am in order to make it accessible and user friendly for people with different impairments. The web page has been working as a media and has been broadcasting different events of the country from the perspective of people with disabilities driving special attention to the women’s issues.
During the grant year more than 220 articles have been prepared by the journalists and women with disabilities who touched upon educations, employment, health and other issues. The web page has been making publications every day and has been sharing them in social networks discussing them with different groups. Our journalists and women with disabilities have been participating in the discussions and press conferences raising issues related to the women with disabilities and anticipated answers from the responsible bodies of the field.
The meetings of the mutual support group have been conducted for the women with disabilities. During the meetings there have been discussed issues about personal development, relations to the environment as well as to the right to education and employment. Seminars have been organized for the young women about the philosophy of an independent life, leadership and development of communicative capacities.
With the support of YSU Centre for Gender and Leadership Studies a research on “Inclusive Medical Services for Women with Disabilities” has been conducted. Then a round table and press conference were organized during which the results of the research have been published.
There have been organized media campaigns dedicated to the women with disabilities, to people with Down syndrome, autism as well as to the international day of people with disabilities. More than 10 000 people have been informed about the campaign, 60 articles were published.
Seminars have been organized for journalists and the students of the faculty of journalism about how to cover issues of women with disabilities. More than 50 people have been participated in the seminars.
Monitoring has been conducted on the projects and events realized by the government and social organizations. Problems and legislative gaps of the system which contrast to the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities have been raised. For example the inaccessibility of medical care services for women with disabilities or right to have a baby, to adopt children, right to live in a family etc. These researches and suggestions have been presented to the Disability advocacy NGO coalition, Human Rights Defender’s office and the decision makers.
“Media for Inclusion” Project, UNICEF Armenia
December 2014 – June 2015
To raise awareness in the society about the importance of inclusion of children with disabilities in the society in Armenia, to provide school administrations and journalists with long-term necessary digital learning opportunities to refresh their knowledge of disability and enhance their capacity to provide for inclusion, to promote positive attitudes towards children with disabilities.
- 12 films were shot about children with disabilities and their parents. Films are about 5 girls, 3 parents and 4 young men with disabilities. Films are about children and youth with disabilities who leave in Armenia and have different disabilities (movement, learning, hearing and vision impairment). Presentation of films will be organized in cinema hall in the fall, heroes of films and participants will be invited.
- 12 videos (9-15 min) with the key message based on disability social model and inclusion produced and shared by social media.
Experts talk about Protection of Rights of persons with disabilities, How to communicate with persons with disabilities, The problem of Employment, Children’s rights and ICF, Parent’s participation in Inclusive Education, Professional assistance to teachers, Visual impairment and accessible Averment, How to make videos about persons with disabilities,
Educational Need assessment of children, The role of parents, Inclusive education, Preschool education for children with disabilities.
- By cooperating with the National Institute of Education of RA and with inclusive schools 6 video-lectures recorded for school teachers, which will help them to get acquainted with the principles and methods of inclusive education. Those video lectures will be published on website www.disabilityinfo.am. The topics are:
- The role of pedagogical-psychiatric team at the school
- How to evaluate the results of education of children with special educational needs.
- The criteria of public education and inclusive education
- The role of parents in process of education of children with special educational needs.
- Child-centered methods of education
- How to plan the class considering educational needs of each child.
- 40 Photo stories and articles based on monitoring of accessibility of schools and other public buildings were published on www.Disabilityinfo.am and shares by social media. Monitoring based on the UN conventions on the Rights of people with disabilities and Rights of children will be implemented in schools, educational complexes, public places and also on governmental and social programs. Those will be implemented through conversations and polls with participation of local authorities, decision makers, representatives of school community and also people with disabilities, children and their parents.
The results of monitoring showed that construction norms providing accessibility were violated in newly-built and reconstructed schools, cultural centers. The results were represented to “National Disability Advocacy Coalition” of Armenia and were sent to Ministry of Urban Development of Armenia as complaints.
- By corporation with “Bridge of Hope” NGO 4 issues of the magazine “Sunflower” are published and distributed mainly in 120 inclusive schools, NGOs and libraries. 25 young journalists selected from schools through interviews and essays assessing their writing skills on journalism classes twice a week during project period. 8 of them received graduation certificates of journalism classes.
Essay competition in the topics “My inclusive school” and “In front of the same desk” was announced for pupils and announcement was sent to all schools of Armenia. 93 essays were represented from more than 20 towns and villages.
The authors of best four essays received diplomas and tablets as prizes. Winners were school students from Ashtarak, Ararat, Charentsavan and Yerevan. Their essays were published in http://disabilityinfo.am/ and shared in social websites.
- The first Armenian blog for Parents’ of children with disabilities created with the experts and active parents. Articles and success stories, as well as different materials and useful links about inclusive education published on http://parents.disabilityinfo.am blog. The blog has sections about Education, Services, Health and other topics.
Parents write about the topics that they are concerned about by themselves and share their experience about child education and development problems. Except parents, education, health, psychology and other specialists write their opinions and suggestions.